Whilst pasta with tomato sauce is great, nothing beats a creamy pasta! Today I am sharing with you my veganised version of the Italian classic carbonara. My boyfriend has a hatred for spaghetti (don’t get him started!) so for this recipe I use our go to pasta – penne. I also opt for gluten free pasta but this is just personal preference. This recipe is simple, quick and delicious! It serves 2 with a cooking time of around 15 minutes!
- 1/2 tbsp oil (I use avocado oil but any cooking oil is great)
- 1 red onion
- 1 packet Quorn vegan smokey ham free slices
- 200ml almond cream (you could alternatively use soya or oat cream)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (to give a subtle cheesy flavour)
- 100g frozen garden peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g dry pasta
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Whilst the oil is heating, finely slice an onion, then add to the pan.
- Cut the ham into strips and add to the pan once the onions have softened.
- Once the ham has crisped up, add the almond cream, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Stir the mixture until the sauce thickens.
- Add peas to the creamy sauce.
- Drain the pasta and mix into the pan with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Be sure to let me know if you try this recipe or if there is anything you wish could be veganised!
Until next time, Susan.