Today I’m coming at you with a recipe which you can try out whilst self isolating! These caramelised onion falafels are both vegan and gluten free. They can be eaten on their own, in a salad, wrap, sandwich or pitta. However you choose to eat them I would definitely recommend having some vegan mayonnaise alongside them.
This recipe makes 12 falafels which can be baked or fried. The total cooking time is around 40 minutes.
- 2 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tin of drained chickpeas
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (this can be substituted for plain flour)
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan).
- Peel and slice the red onion.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
- Add the onion and garlic into a baking tray with half a tablespoon of oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Once cooled, add the roasted onion and garlic to a food processor along with the drained chickpeas and spices.
- Blitz the mixture until fairly smooth, leaving the mixture slightly chunky will add an element of texture to the finalised product.
- Taste the mixture and adjust to taste by adding more salt, pepper or spices.
- Roll the mixture into 12 balls and flatten them into miniature patties.
- Either, pop the falafels into the preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning them half way through.
Or, add a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the falafels for a round 5 minutes on each side.
Let me know if you try this recipe out!
Until next time, Susan.